Pop quiz: Name China’s top five electric vehicle makers.
Not so easy, right? Don’t worry. You’re not alone — and the China EV revolution is just getting started.
I recently gave a talk at the 3 Revolutions conference hosted by the University of California- Davis. The event marked the launch of a new book which I co-authored: Three Revolutions: Steering Electric, Shared and Autonomous Vehicles To A Better Future. Right after the talk several people approached me with a similar set of questions:
1. Who are the leading Chinese electric vehicle makers?
2. How do their cars perform – range, reliability, speed, price?
3. How soon will they hit American shores
Here’s what we know:
• Chinese brands accounted for 96% of 711,000 EVs built and sold in China last year.
• BYD, Beijing Electric Vehicle Corp, ZhiDou, Shanghai Auto and Zotye are the major producers.
• Tesla, Nissan Leaf and Denza are the only three non-Chinese EV brands for sale today.
• Even the Chevy Bolt is not currently sold in the PRC.
China’s Best-Selling EVs in 2017
#1 – Beijing Auto EC 180
#2 – Geely ZhiDou D2
#3 – BYD Song DM
#4 – Chery eQ
#5 – BYD E5